Welcome to “Good Morning, Illini Nation,” your every day dose of faculty basketball information from Illini beat author and AP Prime 25 voter Scott Richey. He’ll supply up insights each morning on Brad Underwood’s crew:
The 2021 NBA draft mix started in earnest Tuesday in Chicago. It was largely a measurements day — each in bodily traits and agility. Extra gamers participated within the former than the latter, together with Illinois guard Ayo Dosunmu.
Dosunmu checked in at 6-foot-3 1/2 with out sneakers as a result of that is nonetheless one thing that’s measured. Since basketball is performed with sneakers on, Dosunmu additionally measured in at 6-5 with them on and weighed in at 194.4 kilos with a 4.9 % physique fats proportion. Dosunmu’s palms have been additionally 8 1/2 inches lengthy and eight 3/4 inches vast. His standing attain was 8-0 1/2, and his wingspan measured 6-10 1/4.
OK. What does all that imply? What’s essential. The 6-5 in sneakers makes a distinction. Dosunmu is listed as a taking pictures guard within the draft mix anthrometric statistics, however he’ll possible play extra of a combo guard function as soon as he hits the league. Standing 6-5 with a 6-10 1/4 wingspan is legit. His physique fats proportion was additionally the eleventh lowest out of the 61 gamers that have been examined. Given his time with Adam Fletcher … that should not be a shock.
This is a number of others that stood out within the anthrometric testing portion of the day:
- Longest wingspan measured went to Utah State heart Neemias Queta at 7-4. He was additionally the tallest participant measured on the mix at 7-0 1/2 and had the best standing attain at 9-4 1/2.
- In some way Dosunmu’s standing attain dropped from 8-6 on the 2018 USA Basketball U18 Coaching Camp to 8-0 1/2 regardless of getting an inch taller (in sneakers) and his arms rising greater than 2 inches. Bizarre.
- Greatest palms went to Duke’s Jalen Johnson at 9 3/4 inches lengthy and 10 1/2 inches vast. He certainly has no hassle palming a basketball.
- The shortest participant measured was Oral Roberts’ guard Max Abmas, who checked in at 5-11 3/4 in sneakers with a 6-1 3/4 wingspan. Not superb.
- The guards with the most important distinction between peak and wingspan have been Florida State’s Scottie Barnes (6-8 in sneakers with a 7-2 3/4 wingspan) and Arkansas’ Moses Moody (6-6 in sneakers with a 7-0 3/4 wingspan).
Dosunmu didn’t take part in any agility testing Tuesday. Listed below are a number of gamers that stood out from the smaller quantity that acquired measured:
- Finest leaper of the day was Jericho Sims. The Texas ahead hit a max vertical of 44 1/2 inches and likewise had the perfect standing vertical at 37 inches.
- Coming in at No. 2 in max vertical behind Sims and tied with Florida guard Scottie Lewis was Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp, who’s apparently not only a shooter. The Hawkeyes’ guard hit 42 inches on his max vertical, and he Sims and Lewis have been the one three gamers to interrupt the 40-inch mark.
- Lewis confirmed of the opposite a part of his agility by posting the perfect occasions in lane agility (10.45 seconds) and three-quarter dash (2.98 seconds). Solely Texas ahead Greg Brown III had a quicker shuttle runs at 2.98 seconds to Lewis’ 3.04 seconds.